Is water good for your skin? Well, you decide. Here's a fact... water is essential for so many of our bodily functions. Our bodies are made up of mostly water and much of what we put inside our body shows up on the outside. It just makes sense that water is good for us right? But Why? Lets look at some water health benefits ....
List of Important Water Health Benefits
- Transports nutrients and oxygen to cells (aka helps with absorption)
- Ensures adequate blood volume
- Protects against heat exhaustion (cool down)
- Helps insulate in the cold (stay warm)
- Regulates body temperature (see hot flashes)
- Cushions joints
- Helps to control/suppresses appetite (an 8oz glass of water can hold you over for an hour!)
- Assists in metabolizing stored fat
- Relieves fluid retention problems
- Reduces sodium build up on the body
- Helps maintain muscle tone
- Rids the body of wastes and toxins
- Helps convert food to energy (no more 2pm crashing for me!)
- Maintains strength and endurance
- Last but certainly not least... protects organs
Why is this last one so important? Because our skin is the largest organ we have. There you have it. Yes, water really is important for your skin health and not just for the beauty of your face. Your skin is all over. Good hydration takes care of all of your skin and as you can see a number of other bodily function.
So now your thinking... ok fine, but how much water should I drink per day ?
Here's the rule of thumb: half of your body weight in ounces or 64oz (whichever is higher) per day. For example if you weight 200 lbs you should be drinking 100oz of water each day. If you weigh 105 lbs you should be drinking 64oz each day. Not so bad right? And this is from the moment you wake up until the moment you go to bed. You can certainly hit your target in 24 hours.
Yes, you will be going potty a bit more frequently, but that's a good thing. Get rid of those toxins! I tell my clients to make drinking water fun! Go ahead and get a fancy water bottle that you love, bedazzle that sucker if you have to and carry it with you everywhere. You got this!
Lauren Strohofer is a health and wellness consultant and co-owner of Nourish Raleigh, an innovative nutrition club 18 Seaboard Ave #120 Raleigh, NC 27604 919.673.8658 www.Lauren24Fit.com Insta: @Lauren24Fit www.facebook.com/nourishraleigh #GetRaleighFit
Blog post notes: For moms, benefits of drinking water for skin and how to get more energy