Delicious dinner recipes - Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
One Rottisserie Chicken, take all the meat off of it and shred it up into nice small pieces
One Pillsbury pie crust, ready to roll out
One bag of frozen peas, carrots and corn
1 small onion diced
2T olive oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups of chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 cup whole milk
1 egg plus 2T water
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Unbox your pie crust and let it rest on the counter.
- Heat a skillet over high heat.
- Add 2 T of olive oil and make sure it is nice and hot.
- Saute your diced onions in the hot olive oil for 3 minutes. Add in one small bag of frozen peas, corn and carrots. Saute everything for about 5 minutes.
- Add in your shredded chicken and saute along with the vegetables for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle your flour on top of your chicken and vegetable mixture and stir it for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in your chicken broth and stir it well. The liquid should thicken over the next 5-8 minutes.
- While cooking, add in your salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of whole milk to make it nice and creamy.
- Your mixture should be bubbly, thicker and creamy at this point.
- Take one of your pie crusts and carefully unfold it into your round pie plate. If you are short on time do not prebake your bottom crust. If you have enough time, bake the bottom crust for 5-10 minutes at 375.
- Pour the pot pie mixture into your unbaked or prebaked crust.
- Carefully unfold your other crust over the top of the mixture in the pie plate.
- Make a few holes in the top of the crust so the steam can escape.
- Mix the egg and the water together and brush it all over your crust.
- Put your pie plate on top of an empty cookie sheet just in case any liquid escapes while it is baking.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, watch carefully so it does not burn. It should be nice and brown on top of the crust.
Check out more of Sara's tasty recipes over at http://cookwith5kids.com