6 Ways to Be Happy With Your Life Get Happy with Yourself and Find Happiness Where You Are Right Now
6 Ways to Be Happy With Your Life Right Now
I have a great life, I know that. I’ve got a wonderful supportive husband, a healthy happy little boy and all my basic needs are more than met. Things are good, and I’m grateful for all my blessings but somehow the discontentment still manages to creep up every now and then. Maybe it’s because I live in a Facebook and Instagram world streaming a feed of images to remind me that my outdated kitchen isn’t up to par, my college girlfriends are hitting the gym more than me and someone is always on vacation or traveling the world… dammit! In fact, one of my friends has just returned from Turks and Caicos, somewhere that I’ve always wanted to visit and only had good things to say about it. But I think that’s partly because she rented a luxury villa from somewhere like Exceptional Villas (https://www.exceptionalvillas.com/turks-and-caicos) that overlooked the ocean. Oh, how incredible it looked. It looked like something you’d only see in a dream, and it just makes me want to go even more. To say that I’m jealous would be a significant understatement. Maybe it’s just normal to sink little by little into the everyday staleness of life until suddenly your feeling stuck in a rut and not so happy with your once wonderful life. I’ve found that a change of perspective and a few simple activities can get you back in a mindful state and feeling happier with your life. Here are a few ways:
6 Ways to Find Happiness Where You are Right Now
1. Connect with Friends. It’s been proven that having more close friendships contributes to a substantial increase in satisfaction with your life. People who have lots of friends and relationships with others in their community, church, school and at work are less likely to experience feelings of loneliness. Friendships provide support during the difficult times and laughter and companionship in the good times. Focus on reconnecting with friends you’ve lost touch with. Make new friends through local social clubs or look online for like minded locals on Facebook groups.
2. Get Back to the Basics. Before you start overanalyzing all the things that are wrong with your life take a step back and look at your daily routine. Bad habits can sneak up on us and make us feel exhausted, miserable and generally depressed. Often just hitting the reset button on unhealthy habits can make us feel better fast. Get more sleep, drink more water, avoid the sugar and alcohol for a few days. See how much happier you will feel when you’ve cleansed your lifestyle a little by taking better care of yourself.
3. Exercise. I don’t have time. I’m too tired. Guess what, those excuses are doing nothing but making you more tired and miserable. Start now, even if it’s just a walk around the block. Exercise releases endorphins that send your brain happy signals. Make exercise a part of your daily routine and you’ll be a much happier, healthier person. Try to work it in first thing in the morning and you’ll feel a spark of joy throughout the day and fall asleep feeling more accomplished.
4. Fake it. Try smiling an see if you don’t feel a little better automatically. Amy Cuddy, a professor and researcher at Harvard gave an incredible TED talk about how body positioning can change other people’s perceptions and even our own body chemistry. In her new book Presence she discusses how body language can change your life dramatically, from making new friends and getting a better job to feeling stronger and more powerful. Try holding a strong pose where you take up as much space as possible, research suggests your levels of testosterone will increase and stress-inducing cortisol will drop.
5. Treat Yourself. But before you go grab that box of cupcakes or splurge on another expensive pair of shoes, take a look at where you’ve neglected to reward yourself that will impact your joy more than your wallet. Has it been awhile since you’ve taken a trip? A mini vacation could be just the thing to bust your blues. Are you avoiding the mirror in the morning because you need a haircut or you’re skin seems dull? A fresh cut and color, a good facial or some new makeup can make you feel better about yourself without breaking the bank. Spending on something that will truly boost your mood with a lasting memory or effect will make you feel a million times happier than an instant gratification followed by guilt. Reward yourself the right way.
6. Write it All Down. Want to feel better about yourself right now, this very moment? Grab a pen and piece of paper and make a list of 10 things you are thankful for. Having a hard time coming up with 10? Jump on any news site and scroll down through the list of events and tragedies that are happening around the world. Do you have a home, a husband, a job, kids, food….. Those are all things to start with that a lot of others don’t have. It’s easy to get wrapped up in our little bubble and compare ourselves to others who have more. Try comparing yourself to those who have less. If that doesn’t make you feel better, it’s ok, that means you have a heart. Take a moment to be mindful of the things you do have and let the gratitude settle in. If you do this everyday for 5 minutes I guarantee you will shift your perspective on life and experience more joy. Want to go from feeling happy to feeling great? Give back. Helping others will make you happier than you will ever feel about anything you could ever buy or own. If you don’t have the money, give your time. Give your attention. Volunteer to help the homeless, visit a disabled Veterans hospital, mentor a child. Making a difference in someone else’s life, no matter how small the deed, will make you feel better instantly and shape the way you embrace happiness for a lasting effect.
Share with us your ways to be happy right now tips? Happy about your perfect cup of coffee, your kids playing quietly, a goal you’ve reached big or small… we want to see it.
Share in the comments below or post to our Facebook page or on Instagram, tag @forkidsandmoms #makesmehappy
Download this free inspirational quote, post on Instagram or print for your desktop inspiration –click on image for full size, right click and save. ( comparison is the thief of joy quote)
Blog post notes:
For moms, advice on how to get happy and find happiness