Southern Biscuits and Gravy Recipe, the perfect comfort meal to make on a lazy Sunday or when you've got company coming over. A fresh batch of homemade biscuits covered in rich and creamy sausage gravy, what could be better? Southern women pride themselves on knowing how to make the best sweet tea and a killer sausage gravy. It's just one of those things that we pass down, generation to generation, mother to daughter. Most of my favorite memories are of my mother's kitchen, the amazing smell coming from whatever was cooking on the stove while we played on the floor. This dish is a classic southern recipe so delicious you'll devour it and run back for seconds.PrintBlog post notes homemade southern biscuits and gravy casserole, biscuit and gravy casserole, how to make biscuits and gravy, milk gravy, best sausage gravy, best biscuits and gravy recipe
Southern Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Classic comfort food, this delicious recipe of homemade southern biscuits with sausage gravy is pure heaven to taste!
Write a review
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender till mixture is coarse and crumbly. Slowly pour in the milk and mix with fork until dough is soft and pulls off the side of the bowl.
- Knead dough on a floured service. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick flat. Cut biscuits with a 2 inch round biscuit or cookie cutter.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased baking dish. Brush half of the melted butter over them and stick in the oven. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Brush biscuits with remaining butter.
- Brown crumbled sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle in half the flour. Stir and continue to add remainder of flour.
- Add in milk and continue to stir.
- Cook gravy over medium heat and continuously stir for about 10 minutes.
- As the gravy begins to thicken sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat once the gravy has turning thick and creamy.
- Spoon sausage gravy over homemade biscuits and serve!
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/biscuits-with-milk-gravy-recipe.html?oc=linkback
For Kids and Moms - The Modern Parents Guide to Life Blog http://forkidsandmoms.com/